School of Economic Sciences | WSU Faculty
Thomas L. Marsh
- Global Burden of Animal Diseases Program
- Microplastic Pollution in a Terrestrial Environment
- WSU Global Health Kenya
- Plant Health: Policies, Pesticide Use and Externalities
- Ph.D., Agricultural Economics, Washington State University, 1998.
- M.S., Statistics, Washington State University, 1998.
- M.S., Economics, Montana State University, 1991.
- M.S., Mathematics, Montana State University, 1987.
- B.A., Mathematics, Carroll College, 1985.
FIELDS OF INTEREST
- Consumer Demand and Modeling Commodity Markets
- Quantitative Methods
- Natural Resource Economics
- Global Health
- Professor, School of Economic Sciences & Paul G. Allen School for Global Health, Washington State University
- IMPACT Director, School of Economic Sciences, WSU, 2009-2014
- Associate Professor, School of Economic Sciences, WSU, 2004-2009
- Assistant and Associate Professor, Dept of Agricultural Economics, Kansas State University, 1998-2004.
- Economist, Pacific Northwest Laboratory, Richland, WA, 1991-1997.
- Lecturer, Dept. Mathematics, Mont. State Univ, 1986-1990.
- EconS 511, Econometrics I
- EconS 513–4, Econometrics III & IV
- Agricultural & Applied Economics Association (AAEA)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Western Agricultural Economics Association (WAEA)
- Washington State Academy of Sciences (WSAS)
- Associate Editor, American Journal of Agricultural Economics (2008-2011)
- Editorial Council, Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics (2007-2009, 2015-2017)
- Choices, Guest Editor (2016)
- PNAS, Guest Editor (2020)
HONORS & AWARDS
- Fellow, Western Agricultural Economics Association (2019)
- Faculty Excellence in Research, CAHNRS, WSU (2019)
- Outstanding Published Research Award, Western Agricultural Economics Association (2017)
- Award for Excellence, Academic Advisor, WSU GPSA (2017)
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (2015)
- Distinguished Professor of Agricultural and Resource Economics, WSU (2014 – present)
- Visiting Scholar, Agricultural & Resource Economics, North Carolina State Univ. (2012)
- Elected Member, Washington State Academy of Sciences (2011)
- Visiting Scholar, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis (2007)
- Visiting Specialist Program, Department of Agriculture, Australia (2005-2006).
- Young Professionals Award, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society (2003)
- Early Career Award, Gamma Sigma Delta, Kansas State University (2001-2002)
- Award for Academic Excellence, Outstanding Dissertation (H.M.), American Agricultural Economics Association (1999)
- Hennessy, D. and T.L. Marsh. 2021. Economics of Animal Health and Livestock Disease, Handbook of Agricultural Economics, Vol 5.
- Ruston et al. Roll-out of the Global Burden of Animal Diseases Programme. The Lancet. February 04, 2021. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(21)00189-6
- Seeger et al. 2021. When poultry take a sick leave: Response costs for the 2014–2015 highly pathogenic avian influenza epidemic in the USA, Food Policy, .Volume 102, July 2021, 102068.
- Huntington et al. 2021. Global Burden of Animal Disease: a novel approach to understanding and managing disease in livestock and aquatic animals, Rev. Sci. Tech. Off. Int. Epiz., 2021, 40 (2), 567-584
- Delay et al. 2020. “Linking Calving Intervals to Milk Production and Household Nutrition in Kenya,” Food Security, 12: 309-325.
- Railey, A. F., Lankester, F., Lembo, T. , Reeve, R. , Shirima, G. and Marsh, T. (2019) Enhancing livestock vaccination decision-making through rapid diagnostic testing. World Development Perspectives, (doi:10.1016/j.wdp.2019.100144)
- Jonathan Rushton, Mieghan Bruce, Camille Bellet, Paul Torgerson, Alexandra Shaw, Thomas Marsh, David Pigott, Matthew Stone, Julio Pinto, Shannon Mesenhowski, Paul Wood. “Initiation of Global Burden of Animal Diseases Programme,” The Lancet, Volume 392, Issue 10147, 18-24 August 2018, Pages 538-540. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(18)31472-7.
- Casey-Bryars,…,T.L. Marsh, S. Cleaveland, T. Lembo. 2018. “Waves of endemic foot-and-mouth disease in eastern Africa suggest feasibility of proactive vaccination approaches,” published online Nature: Ecology & Evolution 2, pages1449–1457 . https://doi.org/10.1038/s41559-018-0636-x (Commentary article Vaccination under uncertainty.)
- Raily, A. Shirima, G., Lembo, T., Palmer, G. H., and Marsh, T.L. 2018. “Spatial and temporal risk as drivers for adoption of foot and mouth disease vaccination,” Vaccine, 36:5077-5083. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2018.06.069
- Brodhagen, M., J.Goldberger, D. Hayes, D. Inglis, T.L. Marsh, C. Miles. “Policy Considerations for Limiting Unintended Residual Plastic in Agricultural Soils,” Environmental Science and Policy, Volume 69, March 2017, Pages 81–84.
- Marsh, T.L., J. Yoder, T. Deboch, T. McElwain, G. Palmer. 2016. “Livestock vaccinations translate into increased human capital and school attendance by girls,” Science Advances 14 Dec 2016: Vol. 2, no. 12, e1601410, DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.1601410. (7900 views)
- Jiang, J. T.L. Marsh, and P. Tozer. 2015. “Policy Induced Price Volatility Transmission: Linking the U.S. Crude Oil, Corn and Plastic Markets,” Energy Economics (52):217-227.
- Thumbi, SM., M. Kariuki Njenga, T. Marsh, S. Noh, E. Otiang, P. Munyua, L. Ochieng, E. Ogola, J. Yoder, A. Audi, J. Montgomery, G. Palmer and T. McElwain. “Linking human health and livestock health: a “One-Health” platform for integrated analysis of human health, livestock health, and economic welfare in livestock dependent communities,”PLOS ONE, March 23, 2015 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0120761. (6700 views)
- Pendell, D. L., T. L. Marsh, K. H. Coble, J.L. Lusk, and S. C. Szmania. “Economic Assessment of Animal Disease Releases: The National Bio and Agro Defense Facility,” PLOS ONE. June 26, 2015, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0129134
- Dong, F., T. L. Marsh, and K. Stiegert. “State Trading Enterprises in a Differentiated Environment: The Case of Global Malting Barley Markets.” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 88(1), (February 2006):90-103.
- Garrett, T. A., T. L. Marsh, and M.I. Marshall. “Political Allocation of Agriculture Disaster Payments in the 1990s.” International Review of Law and Economics, 26(2), (2006): 143-161.
- Piggott, N. E. and T.L. Marsh. 2004. “Does Food Safety Information Impact US Meat Demand?” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 86 (February):154-174.
- Marsh, T.L. and R. Mittelhammer 2004. “Generalized maximum entropy estimation of a first order spatial autoregressive model,” Advances in Econometrics, 199-234.
- Garrett, T. A. and T. L. Marsh. “The Revenue Impacts of Cross-Border Lottery Shopping in the Presence of Spatial Autocorrelation.” Regional Science and Urban Economics, vol. 32, no. 4 (July 2002): 501-19.
- Marsh, T. L., R. C. Mittelhammer, and R. G. Huffaker. “Probit with Spatial Correlation by Plot: PLRV Net Necrosis.” Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics, 5(2000): 22-36.
- Marsh, T.L., R. G. Huffaker, and G. E. Long. “Optimal Control of Vector-Virus-Plant Interactions: The Case of PLRV Net Necrosis.” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 2000 (August).