Thomas L. Marsh
- Ph.D., Agricultural Economics, Washington State University, 1998.
- M.S., Statistics, Washington State University, 1998.
- M.S., Economics, Montana State University, 1991.
- M.S., Mathematics, Montana State University, 1987.
- B.A., Mathematics, Carroll College, 1985.
FIELDS OF INTEREST
- Consumer Demand and Modeling Commodity Markets
- Quantitative Methods
- Natural Resource Economics
- Global Health
- Professor, School of Economic Sciences & Paul G. Allen School for Global Animal Health, Washington State University
- IMPACT Director, School of Economic Sciences, WSU, 2009-2014
- Associate Professor, School of Economic Sciences, WSU, 2004-2009
- Assistant and Associate Professor, Dept of Agricultural Economics, Kansas State University, 1998-2004.
- Economist, Pacific Northwest Laboratory, Richland, WA, 1991-1997.
- Lecturer, Dept. Mathematics, Mont. State Univ, 1986-1990.
- EconS 511, Econometrics I
- EconS 513–4, Econometrics III & IV
- Agricultural & Applied Economics Association (AAEA)
- Western Agricultural Economics Association (WAEA)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
HONORS & AWARDS
- Fellow, Western Agricultural Economics Association (2019)
- Faculty Excellence in Research, CAHNRS, WSU (2019)
- Outstanding Published Research Award, Western Agricultural Economics Association (2017)
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (2015)
- Distinguished Professor of Agricultural and Resource Economics, WSU (2014)
- Visiting Scholar, Agricultural & Resource Economics, North Carolina State Univ. (2012)
- Elected Member, Washington State Academy of Sciences (2011)
- Visiting Scholar, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis (2007)
- Visiting Specialist Program, Department of Agriculture, Australia (2005-2006).
- Young Professionals Award, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society (2003)
- Early Career Award, Gamma Sigma Delta, Kansas State University (2001-2002)
- Award for Academic Excellence, Outstanding Dissertation (H.M.), American Agricultural Economics Association (1999)
- Jonathan Rushton, Mieghan Bruce, Camille Bellet, Paul Torgerson, Alexandra Shaw, Thomas Marsh, David Pigott, Matthew Stone, Julio Pinto, Shannon Mesenhowski, Paul Wood. “Initiation of Global Burden of Animal Diseases Programme,” The Lancet, Volume 392, Issue 10147, 18-24 August 2018, Pages 538-540. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(18)31472-7.
- Casey-Bryars,…,T.L. Marsh, S. Cleaveland, T. Lembo. 2018. “Waves of endemic foot-and-mouth disease in eastern Africa suggest feasibility of proactive vaccination approaches,” published online Nature: Ecology & Evolution 2, pages1449–1457 . https://doi.org/10.1038/s41559-018-0636-x (Commentary article Vaccination under uncertainty.)
- Raily, A. Shirima, G., Lembo, T., Palmer, G. H., and Marsh, T.L. 2018. “Spatial and temporal risk as drivers for adoption of foot and mouth disease vaccination,” Vaccine, 36:5077-5083. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2018.06.069
- Brodhagen, M., J.Goldberger, D. Hayes, D. Inglis, T.L. Marsh, C. Miles. “Policy Considerations for Limiting Unintended Residual Plastic in Agricultural Soils,” Environmental Science and Policy, Volume 69, March 2017, Pages 81–84.
- Marsh, T.L., J. Yoder, T. Deboch, T. McElwain, G. Palmer. 2016. “Livestock vaccinations translate into increased human capital and school attendance by girls,” Science Advances 14 Dec 2016: Vol. 2, no. 12, e1601410, DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.1601410. (7900 views)
- Jiang, J. T.L. Marsh, and P. Tozer. 2015. “Policy Induced Price Volatility Transmission: Linking the U.S. Crude Oil, Corn and Plastic Markets,” Energy Economics (52):217-227.
- Thumbi, SM., M. Kariuki Njenga, T. Marsh, S. Noh, E. Otiang, P. Munyua, L. Ochieng, E. Ogola, J. Yoder, A. Audi, J. Montgomery, G. Palmer and T. McElwain. “Linking human health and livestock health: a “One-Health” platform for integrated analysis of human health, livestock health, and economic welfare in livestock dependent communities,”PLOS ONE, March 23, 2015 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0120761. (6700 views)
- Pendell, D. L., T. L. Marsh, K. H. Coble, J.L. Lusk, and S. C. Szmania. “Economic Assessment of Animal Disease Releases: The National Bio and Agro Defense Facility,” PLOS ONE. June 26, 2015, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0129134
- Dong, F., T. L. Marsh, and K. Stiegert. “State Trading Enterprises in a Differentiated Environment: The Case of Global Malting Barley Markets.” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 88(1), (February 2006):90-103.
- Garrett, T. A., T. L. Marsh, and M.I. Marshall. “Political Allocation of Agriculture Disaster Payments in the 1990s.” International Review of Law and Economics, 26(2), (2006): 143-161.
- Piggott, N. E. and T.L. Marsh. 2004. “Does Food Safety Information Impact US Meat Demand?” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 86 (February):154-174.
- Marsh, T.L., R. G. Huffaker, and G. E. Long. “Optimal Control of Vector-Virus-Plant Interactions: The Case of PLRV Net Necrosis.” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 2000 (August).