Jill J. McCluskey
FIELDS OF INTEREST
- Product quality and Industrial organization
- Consumer preferences for food, technology, and information
- Environmental quality and energy
- Ph.D., 1998, Agricultural and Resource Economics, UC Berkeley
SELECTED CURRENT HONORS, AFFILIATIONS, EDITORIAL & SERVICE POSITIONS
- Alumna of the Year, Dept. of Agricultural and Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, 2022.
- Fellow, Agricultural and Resource Economic Review, 2022.
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), 2021.
- Editor, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 2021-
- Fellow, Western Agricultural Economics Association, 2019
- Fellow, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, 2018
- Member, Board on Agricultural and Natural Resources, National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, 2017-present
- President-Elect 2014-15, President 2015-16, Past President 2016-17, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association
- Faculty Associate, Robert Mondavi Center for Wine Economics, University of California, Davis, 2009 – present.
- Editorial Board, Journal of Wine Economics, 2006 – present.
CURRENT DOCTORAL ADVISEES
- PhD expected 2023: Joseph Navelski, Kennedy Odongo
- PhD expected 2025: Koroles Awad
- PhD expected 2026: Qingwei Qiao
- “Impact of Food Retailers’ Presence and Composition on Nutritional Equity and Health Outcomes in the United States with Machine Learning” USDA NIFA, S. Badruddoza Principal Investigator (PI), J. McCluskey co-PI, total $332,148.
- “Nutrition Access, Outcomes, and Racial Equity,” USDA, ERS cooperative agreement, J. McCluskey, PI (10/21-9/23) total $30,000.
- “Social Interaction and Consumer Acceptance of Genome Editing in Domestic Livestock”, USDA NIFA, J. McCluskey, PI (9/20-9/23) total $441,819.
- “Analysis of Disruptions in Specialty Crop Markets from Covid-19”, USDA ERS, cooperative agreement, J. McCluskey, PI (8/20-7/23) total $50,000.
- DeGorter, H., J.J. McCluskey, J.F.M. Swinnen, D. Zilberman. Modern Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy: Essays in Honor of Gordon C. Rausser. Springer, New York: Springer Publishing.
- Huffman, W.E. and J.J. McCluskey, 2020. New Technology and Conflicting Information: Assessing Consumers’ Willingness to Pay for New Foods. Hackensack, NJ: World Scientific Publishing.
- McCluskey, J.J. and J.A. Winfree, eds., 2017. The Economics of Reputation. Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar Publishing.
RECENT SELECTED JOURNAL ARTICLES
- McCluskey, J.J. 2022. “Nutrition Access, Income, and Race.” American Journal of Agricultural Economics 104(2): 493–501
- Offutt, McCluskey, J. 2021. “How women saved agricultural economics.” Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy 1–19, https://doi.org/10.1002/aepp.13183.
- Zhang, Q., J.J. McCluskey R.K. Gallardo, and M. Brady, 2021. “Avoidance Behaviors Circumventing the Sugar-Sweetened Beverages Taxes,” Food Policy.
- Amin, D., S. Badruddoza, and J.J. McCluskey, 2021. “Predicting access to healthful food retailers with machine learning,” Food Policy 99: article 101985.
- Grant, K.R., R.K Gallardo, and J.J. McCluskey, 2021. “Consumer Preferences for Foods with Clean Labels and New Processing Technologies,” Agribusiness 37(4):764–781.
- Berning, J.P., H.H. Chouinard, K. Kiesel, J.J. McCluskey, and S.B. Villas-Boas, 2020. “Consumer and Strategic Firm Response to Nutrition Shelf Labels,” American Journal of Agricultural Economics 102(2): 458–479.