Jill J. McCluskey
FIELDS OF INTEREST
- Product quality and Industrial organization
- Consumer preferences for food, technology, and information
- Environmental quality and energy
- Ph.D., 1998, Agricultural and Resource Economics, UC Berkeley
- M.S., 1995, Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley
- M.A., 1993, Economics, Georgetown University
- B.A., 1989, Business Economics and Political Science, UC Santa Barbara
SELECTED CURRENT HONORS, AFFILIATIONS, EDITORIAL & SERVICE POSITIONS
- Fellow, Western Agricultural Economics Assoication, 2019
- Fellow, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, 2018
- Samuel H. Smith Leadership Award, Association for Faculty Women, WSU, 2018
- Member, Board on Agricultural and Natural Resources, National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, 2017-present
- President Elect 2014-15, President 2015-16, Past President 2016-17, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association
- Faculty Excellence in Research Award, College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences, WSU, 2016.
- Affiliate faculty, Program in Viticulture and Enology
- Faculty Associate, Robert Mondavi Center for Wine Economics, University of California, Davis, 2009 – present.
- Editorial Board, Journal of Wine Economics, 2006 – present.
CURRENT DOCTORAL ADVISEES
- PhD expected May 2021: Afrin Islam, Samantha Johnson, Molla Mursaleen Shiraj, Joshua Tibbitts, Jugal Marfatia
- PhD expected 2022: Botir Okhunjanov
- PhD expected 2023: Joseph Navelski, Kennedy Odongo
- “Social Interaction and Consumer Acceptance of Genome Editing in Domestic Livestock”, USDA NIFA, J. McCluskey Principal Investigator (9/20-9/22) total $441,819.
- “Analysis of Disruptions in Specialty Crop Markets from Covid-19”, USDA ERS, (8/20-7/21) total $50,000.
- DeGorter, H., J.J. McCluskey, J.F.M. Swinnen, D. Zilberman, in press. Modern Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy: Essays in Honor of Gordon C. Rausser. Springer, New York: Springer Publishing.
- Huffman, W.E. and J.J. McCluskey, 2020. New Technology and Conflicting Information: Assessing Consumers’ Willingness to Pay for New Foods. Hackensack, NJ: World Scientific Publishing.
- McCluskey, J.J. and J.A. Winfree, eds., 2017. The Economics of Reputation. Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar Publishing.
RECENT SELECTED JOURNAL ARTICLES
- Berning, J.P., H.H. Chouinard, K. Kiesel, J.J. McCluskey, and S.B. Villas-Boas, 2020. “Consumer and Strategic Firm Response to Nutrition Shelf Labels,” American Journal of Agricultural Economics 102(2): 458–479.
- Amin, M.D., S. Badruddoza, and J.J. McCluskey, 2020. “Predicting access to healthful food retailers with machine learning,” Food Policy 68: 429-444.
- Akhundjanov, S.B., R.K. Gallardo, J.J. McCluskey, and B.J. Rickard, 2020. “Commercialization of a Demand-Enhancing Innovation by a Public University,” Economic Modelling 86: 88-100.
- Li, T., A. Mamadzhanov, J.J. McCluskey, and K. Messer, 2020. “Preferences for Local Oysters: Tourists versus Locals,” Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics.
- McCluskey, J.J. 2019. “Why Diversity and Expectations matter,” Agricultural Economics 50(1):107–111.
- Juraqulova, Z., J.J. McCluskey, and R.C. Mittelhammer, 2019. “Work-Life Policies and Female Faculty Representation,” Industrial Relations Journal 50(2): 168–196.
- Chen, K.-J. and J.J. McCluskey, 2018. “Impacts of Expert Information on Prices for an Experience Good across Product Quality Segments: Tasting Notes and Wine Prices,” Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 43(3): 388-402.
- Li, T., J.J. McCluskey, and K. Messer, 2018. “Ignorance Is Bliss? Experimental Evidence on Wine Produced from Grapes Irrigated with Recycled Water,” Ecological Economics 153: 100-110.