FIELDS OF INTEREST
- Product quality and Industrial organization
- Consumer preferences for food, technology, and information
- Environmental quality and energy
- Ph.D., 1998, Agricultural and Resource Economics, UC Berkeley
- M.S., 1995, Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley
- M.A., 1993, Economics, Georgetown University
- B.A., 1989, Business Economics and Political Science, UC Santa Barbara
SELECTED CURRENT HONORS, AFFILIATIONS, EDITORIAL & SERVICE POSITIONS
- President Elect 2014-15, President 2015-16, Past President 2016-17, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association (AAEA) formerly American Agricultural Economics Association.
- Faculty Excellence in Research Award, College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences, WSU, 2016.
- Affiliate faculty, Program in Viticulture and Enology
- Faculty Associate, Robert Mondavi Center for Wine Economics, University of California, Davis, 2009 – present.
- Associate Editor, European Review of Agricultural Economics, 2012-present
- Editorial Board, Journal of Wine Economics, 2006 – present.
CURRENT TEACHING ASSIGNMENTS
- Spring 2017: EconS 503-PhD Microeconomic theory
CURRENT DOCTORAL ADVISEES
- PhD expected May 2017: Anthony Delmond, Alisher Mamadzhanov, Megan Waldrop
- PhD expected May 2018: Kiana Yektansani
- “The Two-Body Problem: An Evaluation of University Partner Accommodation Policies with Implications for Recruitment, Retention, and Promotion of STEM Women,” National Science Foundation #116054-002, (PI: J. McCluskey, with B. Cowan, J. Kmec, & T. Byington, amount: $450,000, dates: 8/16/13 to 8/15/17. See project website at http://dualhire.org/
- “SEP : Consortium for Nature-Inspired Lignocellulosic Biomass Processing,” National Science Foundation #1231085, co-PI with PI Shulin Chen, amount: $1,900,000, dates: 10/1/12-9/30/17.
- McCluskey, J.J., N. Kalaitzandonakes, J.F.M. Swinnen, forthcoming, 2016. “News Media Coverage and Public Perceptions: Insights from New Food Technologies.” Annual Review of Resource Economics 8(1).
- McCluskey, J., Swinnen, J. and T. Vandemoortele, 2015. “You Get What You Want: the Economics of Bad News,” Information Economics and Policy 30:1-5.
- Rickard, B., J.J. McCluskey, and R. Patterson, 2015. “Reputation Tapping,” Eur. Rev. of Ag. Econ. 42 (4): 675-701.
- Horn, B.P., J.J. McCluskey, and R.C. Mittelhammer. 2014. “An Adapted Find-rate Test for Race and Gender Bias in Driving-under-the-influence Enforcement,” Economic Inquiry 52(1):269-84.
- Yang, N., J.J. McCluskey, and M.P. Brady, 2012. “The Value of Good Neighbors: A Spatial Analysis of the California and Washington Wine Industries,” Land Economics, 88(4): 674-84.
- Berning, J., H.H. Chouinard, and J.J. McCluskey. 2011. “Do Positive Nutrition Shelf Labels Affect Consumer Behavior? Findings from a Field Experiment with Scanner Data,” Am. J. of Ag. Econ. 93(2): 364–69.
- Costanigro, M., J.J. McCluskey, and C. Goemans, 2010. “The Economics of Nested Names: Name Specificity, Reputations, and Price Premia,” Am. J. of Ag. Econ. 92(5):1339-50.
- McCluskey, J.J. and Jason A. Winfree, 2009. “Pre-empting Public Regulation with Private Quality Standards,” European Rev. of Ag. Econ. 36 (4): 525–539.
- Winfree, J.A. and J.J. McCluskey, 2007. “Takings of Development Rights with Asymmetric Information and an Endogenous Probability of an Externality,” J. of Housing Econ. 16: 320-33
- Winfree, J.A. and J.J. McCluskey, 2005. “Collective Reputation and Quality.” Am. J. of Ag. Econ. 87(1): 206-214.
- McCluskey, J.J. and K.K. Quagrainie, 2004. “Measurement of Industry Conduct with a Latent Structure,” Journal of Applied Econometrics 19(7): 887-897.
- McCluskey, J.J. and G.C. Rausser, 2003. “Stigmatized Asset Value: Is it Temporary or Long-term?” The Review of Economics and Statistics 85(2): 276-285.
- McCluskey, J.J. and G.C. Rausser, 2003. “Hazardous Waste Sites and Housing Appreciation Rates,” J. of Environmental Economics and Management 45(2): 166-176.
- Loureiro, M.L., J. J. McCluskey, and R.C. Mittelhammer, 2002. “Will Consumers Pay a Premium for Eco-labeled Apples?” J. of Consumer Affairs 36(2): 203-219.
- McCluskey, J.J., 2000. “A Game Theoretic Approach to Organic Foods: An Analysis of Asymmetric Information and Policy,” Agricultural and Resource Economics Rev. 29(1):1-9.
- Loureiro, M.L. and McCluskey, J.J., 2000. “Assessing Consumers Response to Protected Geographical Identification Labeling,” Agribusiness 16(3): 309-320.