Suzette Pedroso Galinato
M.A. Economics, Simon Fraser University, British Columbia, Canada
B.S. Economics, University of the Philippines-Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines
Fields of Interest
Sustainable agriculture, Production economics and farm management
Environmental economics, Development economics
2018-present Assistant Director, IMPACT Center, School of Economic Sciences, WSU
2007-2017 Research Associate, IMPACT Center, School of Economic Sciences, WSU
2002-2008 Consultant, The World Bank, Washington, D.C.
2000-2002 Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant, Department of Economics,
Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
1998-2000 Research Assistant, Department of Economics, University of the Philippines,
Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines
Selected Journal Articles (Last 5 years)
- Chen, K., S.P. Galinato, T.L. Marsh, P.R. Tozer, and H.H. Chouinard. 2020. “Willingness to Pay for Attributes of Biodegradable Plastic Mulches in the Agricultural Sector.” HortTechnology 30(3): 437-447.
- Miles, C.A., T.R. Alexander, G. Peck, S.P. Galinato, C. Gottschalk, and S. van Nocker. 2020. “Growing Apples for Hard Cider Production in the United States—Trends and Research Opportunities.” HortTechnology 30(2): 148-155.
- Velandia, M., S. Galinato, and A. Wszelaki. 2020. “Economic Evaluation of Biodegradable Plastic Films in Tennessee Pumpkin Production.” Agronomy 10(51): 1-13.
- Galinato, S.P., R. K. Gallardo, E.H. Beers, and A.J. Bixby-Brosi. 2019. “Developing a Management Strategy for Little Cherry Disease: The Case of Washington State.” Plant Disease 103(9): 2184-2190.
- Chen, K., T.L. Marsh, P.R. Tozer, and S.P. Galinato. 2019. “Biotechnology to Sustainability: Consumer Preferences for Food Products Grown on Biodegradable Mulches.” Food Research International, 116: 200-210.
- Galinato, S.P., R.K. Gallardo, D.M. Granatstein, and M. Willett. 2018. “Economic Impact of a Potential Expansion of Pest Infestation: Apple Maggot in Washington State.” HortTechnology 28(5): 651-659.
- Galinato, G.I. and S.P. Galinato. 2016. “The Effects of Government Spending on Deforestation Due to Agricultural Land Expansion and CO2 Related Emissions.” Ecological Economics, 122: 43-53.
- Skolrud, T., G.I. Galinato, S.P. Galinato, R. Shumway, and J. Yoder. 2016. “The Role of Federal Renewable Fuel Standards and Market Structure on the Growth of the Cellulosic Biofuel Sector.” Energy Economics, 58: 141-151.
Selected Extension Publications (Last 5 years)
- Gallardo, R.K. and S. Galinato. 2020. “2019 Cost Estimates of Establishing, Producing and Packing Fuji Apples in Washington.” Washington State University Extension Publication TB73E.
Gallardo, R.K. and S. Galinato. 2020. “2019 Cost Estimates of Establishing, Producing and Packing Honeycrisp Apples in Washington.” Washington State University Extension Publication TB70E.
- Galinato, S.P., M. Velandia, and S. Ghimire. 2020. “Economic Feasibility of Using Alternative Plastic Mulches: Case Study for Pumpkin in Western WA.” Washington State University Extension Publication.
- Galinato, S.P. 2020. “2019 Costs Estimates of Producing Fresh and Processing Potatoes in Washington.” Washington State University Extension Publication TB67E.
- Velandia, M., A. Smith, A. Wszelaki, and S. Galinato. 2019. “The Economic Feasibility of Adopting Plastic Biodegradable Mulches in Pumpkin Production.” University of Tennessee Extension Publication W822.
- Galinato, S.P. and R.K. Gallardo. 2018. “Cost Analysis of Vegetable Grafting,” Chapter 6. In C. Kubota, C. Miles, and X. Zhao (eds.) Grafting Manual: How to Produce Grafted Vegetable Plants.
- Chen, K., S. Galinato, S. Ghimire, S. MacDonald, T. Marsh, C. Miles. P. Tozer, M. Velandia. 2018. “Important Considerations for the Use of Biodegradable Mulch in Crop Production.” Washington State University Extension Publication FS304E.
- Tozer, P.R., S.P. Galinato, D. Granatstein, and A. McGuire. 2018. “An Economic Analysis of Three Soil Improvement Practices in the Columbia Basin, Washington State.” Washington State University Extension Publication TB47E.
- Velandia, M., A. Smith, A. Wszelaki, S. Galinato, and T. Marsh. 2018. “The Economics of Adopting Biodegradable Plastic Mulch Films.” University of Tennessee Extension Publication W650.
- Galinato, S.P., C.A. Miles, and T. Alexander. 2016. “Feasibility of Different Harvest Methods for Cider Apples: Case Study for Western Washington.” Washington State University Extension Publication TB32.
- Galinato, S.P., C.A. Miles, and J. Wimer. 2016. “Non-grafted and Grafted Seedless Watermelon Transplants: Comparative Economic Feasibility Analysis.” Washington State University Extension Publication TB08.
- Galinato, S.P., T. Skolrud, G. Galinato, R. Shumway, and J. Yoder. 2016. “Impacts of the Federal Biofuel Policy and Market Structure on the Development of Cellulosic Biofuel Industry in the Pacific Northwest.” Washington State University Extension Publication TB25.
- WSU Crop Enterprise Budgets
On-going Collaborative Research (Grant-Funded Projects)
- Accelerating the Growth and Assessing the Impacts of Gender-Sensitive and Technology Enhanced Organic Vegetable Production in the Province of Laguna, Philippines
- Comprehensive Fire Blight Management Systems for the United States
- Cost Effective Technologies for Cider Apple Orchard Mechanization (WSU Cider Research and Education)
- Farmer-led Irrigation Experimentation: A Model for Learning and Adaptation
- In-Service Training for Biodegradable Mulch (Teaching Materials)
- Management Techniques to Optimize Soil pH and Nutrient Availability in Organic Highbush Blueberry Grown East of the Cascade Range
- MulcH2O: Biodegradable Composite Hydromulches for Sustainable Organic Horticulture (Hydromulch Project Overview in WSU CAHNRS News)
- Moving from Crisis Response to Long-Term Integrated Management of SWD: A Keystone Pest of Fruit Crops in the United States
- Novel Strawberry Production and Disease Management Systems
- Optimizing Blueberry Pollination To Ensure Future Yields (Project Overview in WSU CAHNRS News; Good Fruit Grower; Growing Produce; and MSU Extension Fruit & Nut Updates)
- Spot Spraying of Blueberry Herbicides