Distinguished Professor for Sustainable Development
Affiliate Faculty, Paul G. Allen School for Global Health
- Ph.D., Economics; Minor, Statistics 1999. North Carolina State University
- M.S., Applied Economics, 1994. Montana State University
- B.A. Biology and journalism, 1990. Indiana University
FIELDS OF INTEREST
- Environmental and natural resource economics
- Water law and economics
- Energy and the environment
- Wildfire economics
- Health and economic development
- Contract theory and public policy
- Applied econometrics
Selected Current/Recent Service Activities
- Washington State Academy of Sciences (elected 2017)
- President, Universities Council on Water Resources (2020-2021)
- National Institutes for Water Resources Board of Directors
- Associate Editor, Journal of Contemporary Water Research and Education
- Editorial Board, Journal of Water Economics and Policy
- Editorial Board, Fire
- Malek, Keyvan, Jennifer Adam, Jonathan Yoder, Jennifer Givens, Claudio Stockle, Michael Brady, Tina Karimi, Kirti Rajagopalan, Mingliang Liu, Patrick Reed. 2021. Impacts of irrigation efficiency on water-dependent sectors are heavily controlled by region-specific institutions and infrastructures. Journal of Environmental Management.
- Bayham, Jude and Jonathan Yoder. 2020. Resource Allocation Under Fire. Land Economics 96(1):92-110.
- Yoder, Jonathan, Elizabeth Younce, Felix Lankester, & Guy Palmer. 2019. Healthcare demand in response to rabies elimination campaigns in Latin America. PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases 13(9): e0007630. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0007630.
- Haseeb Ahmed, Douglas R. Call, Robert J. Quinlan, & Jonathan Yoder. 2018. Relationships between livestock grazing practices, disease risk, and antimicrobial use among East African Agropastoralists. Environment and Development Economics 1-18.
- Liu, Boying, C. Richard Shumway, & Jonathan Yoder. 2017. Life Cycle Economic Analysis of Biofuels: Accounting for Economic Substitution in Policy Assessment. Energy Economics 67 (September):146-158.
- Marsh, Thomas, Jonathan Yoder, Tesfaye Deboche, Terry McElwain, & Guy Palmer. 2016. Livestock vaccinations translate into increased human capital and school attendance by girls. Science Advances. Winner of the Western Agricultural Economics Association Outstanding Published Research of the Year Award for 2016.
- Yoder, Jonathan, Michael Brady, & Joseph Cook. 2016. Water markets and storage: Substitutes or complements for drought risk mitigation? Water Economics and Policy.
- Yoder, Jonathan, Adrienne Ohler, & Hayley Chouinard. 2014. “What floats your boat? Preference revelation from lotteries over complex goods.” Journal of Environmental Economics and Management. Winner of the Western Agricultural Economics Association Outstanding Published Research of the Year Award for 2014.
- Yoder, Jonathan, Jennifer Adam, Michael Brady, Joseph Cook, Stephen Katz, Daniel Brent, Shane Johnston, Keyvan Malek, John McMillan, and Qingqing Yang. 2014. Benefit-Cost Analysis of the Yakima Basin Integrated Plan Projects. State of Washington Water Research Center. December. https://swwrc.wsu.edu/2014ybip. 196.pp. Winner of the Bruce Gardner Memorial Prize for Applied Policy Analysis from the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, 2016.
- Yoder, J. 2012. Fuel for the fire: Liability and the economics of wildfire risk. Ch. 3 in Wildfire: Economics, Law & Policy. Taylor & Francis.
- Yoder, J. & Krista Gebert. 2012. An Econometric Model for ex ante prediction of wildfire suppression costs. Journal of Forest Economics.
- Galinato, G. & J. Yoder. 2010. An integrated tax-subsidy policy for carbon emission reduction. Resource and Energy Economics.
- Yoder, J. 2008. “Liability, regulation, and Endogenous Risk: Incidence and Severity of Escaped Prescribed Fires in the United States.” Journal of Law and Economics.
- Yoder, J., Hossain, I., Epplin, F., & Doye, D. 2008. “Contract duration and the division of labor in agricultural land leases,” Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization.
- Chouinard, H. & J. Yoder. 2007. “Repeated Auctions with the Right of First Refusal.”B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics.
- Rucker, R., W. Thurman, & J. Yoder 2005. “Estimating the Speed of Market Reaction to News: Market Events and Lumber Futures Prices.” American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
- Yoder, J. 2004. “Playing with Fire: Endogenous Risk in Resource Management.”American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
- Yoder, J. 2002. “Estimating Aggregate Wildlife-Inflicted Crop Damage with Self-Selected Data.” Land Economics 78(1):45–59.
- Yoder, J. 2000. “Wildlife on Private Land: Contracting over Wildlife-Inflicted Property Damage and Abatement.” Dissertation abstract in recognition of Agricultural and Applied Economics Association Outstanding Dissertation Award for 1999.