Douglas L. Young
- 1976 Ph.D., Agricultural Economics, Oregon State University
- 1968, B.A., Economics, University of Oregon
FIELDS OF INTEREST
Production Economics, Agricultural Economic Development
- 1976-2009 – Asst., Assoc. and Prof. of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Wash. State Univ., Pullman.
- 1974-75 – Project Economist, USAID-Oregon State Univ. Weed Control Project, Brazil.
- 1970-73 and 1975-76 – Graduate Fellow and Research Assistant, Oregon State University.
- 1968-70 – U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer, Livestock Economist, UN-FAO Project, Kenya.
SELECTED HONORS AND SPECIAL APPOINTMENTS
- Phi Beta Kappa, University of Oregon and Phi Kappa Phi, Oregon State University
- Editor, Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, July 1988-December 1991
- Visiting Professor, North Carolina State University, August 1989-June 1990
- Member, National Academy Sciences Committee on Long-Run Soil and Water Conserv. Policy, 1990-93
- Recipient (with coauthors), Soil and Water Conserv. Society, Merit Award for Outstanding Service, 1992
- Witness, Joint Economic Committee, U.S. Congress, 1992
- Member, Editorial Council, Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 1992-94
- President, Western Agricultural Economics Association, 1993-94
- Recipient, Award for Outstanding Article in J. of Agric. and Applied Economics, 1994
- Member, Washington State Advisory Committee, Natural Resources Conservation Service, 1995-2009
- Visiting Scholar, Okanogan University College, British Columbia, Canada, July 1996-June 1997
- Featured Speaker, Canadian Federation of Agriculture, 1997
- Selected Presenter, European Federation of Information Technology in Agriculture, 1997, 2001, and 2005
- R.M. Wade Featured Teacher, College of Ag. and Home Ec., Washington State Univ., 1999 and 2000
- Recipient, Distinguished Scholar of the Western Agricultural Economics Association, 2003
- Co-recipient, Washington State University College of Agriculture Team Excellence Award, 2003
- Visiting Scientist, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Lethbridge, Alberta, August 2003-July 2004
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Dept. Crop & Soil Sciences, WSU, 2009
- Keynote Speaker, Western Agricultural Economics Association, 2009
- Western Agricultural Economics Assoc.
RESEARCH SPECIALIZATION AREAS
- Economics of protecting soil, water, and air quality
- International agricultural development
- Economics of agricultural pest management
- Risk management in agriculture
- Economics of sustainable agriculture
Dr. Young is the author or coauthor of 78 journal articles, 26 book chapters, and over 280 other items. A complete listing is available upon request. While at Washington State University, he has served as chair for 38 graduate students, and received over $1.9 million in grant funding for research.